ATTACHED EXTRACT OF MY LETTER
Customer Relations Department
ATT SONIA WATTS
British Gas Service
West Midlands DY2 8RR
VIA URGENT FAX
20th October 2003
IDEAL BOILER SERVICE
I refer to the installation for central heating at my premises and which
has been a constant problem from the day it was installed. I am assuming
that BS have all computerised and updated records and no doubt all the
below mentioned can be verified by BS.
Rather then having to go into protracted correspondence with you, I
am setting out this letter in a point format and if you wish me to enhance
my comments/concerns/frustrations on any of the points feel free to
call me and I shall be happy to explain.
THE BEGINNING July 2002
1. Mr MOC called to give me a quote on installation to be carried out
by reputable British Gas which included installing the all singing all
dancing boiler system which is ecologically friendly would save millions
on my gas bill..blah blah.
2. Agree with MOC to install and arrange a schedule and time table.
3. Despite a few hiccups and it being summer, I was not overly concerned
that (a) the timetable for installing the system was not to schedule
(b) there were missing parts which had to be waited for, for nearly
a week again not a big issue.
4. Delightful Mr SB the Quality Surveyor comes to inspect with his Quality
Suntan and without testing a thing assured me all was well.
5. Delightful SB called to attend at premises in October (a bit colder
and needed central heating to be put on for the first time) when I complained
that a dial which controls the temperature of heating was broken SB
was very confident in his assurance that the dial was not a real necessity
for the all singing, dancing boiler but would have it repaired the following
week, which it was and I found out that it was a real necessity for
the boiler, despite the bull shit from SB.
6. My guarantee consequently runs out for boiler and I get hounded by
BS to renew and thank the gods above, I do!
CURRENT PROBLEMS NOVEMBER 2003
1. Put central heating on at beginning of October 2003 and encountered
loud unfamiliar noises from the boiler but paid no mind to the noise.
2. Couple of times having had to restart boiler by switching everything
on and off as the sign indicated there was an E which I was told was
an error and would be rectified automatically.
3. On Saturday 18th November, boiler was off with the error sign and
once again followed instructions to switch on and off, wait a minute
and switch on, but this time nothing happens.
4. Call BS who are unable to give accurate time to check it out.
SERVICE ENGINEER SATURDAY
1. Mr HT, Engineer ID 20381 calls
2. Asks for instruction manual for the boiler (despite all the sales
pitch of BS having the latest computerised machines which immediately
locate the problem.).
3. Mr HT proceeds to advise me of the following:
1. that there was a technical problem with this brand of boilers and
BS had stopped using them for installation as the manufacturer advised
BS of this problem some time in the middle of 2002
2. The circuit in the boiler appears to malfunction and needs to be
replaced but there is no guarantee that this is the only problem with
these kinds of boilers.
3. Engineer commented on the loud noise and felt that there is a technical
problem as to why noise was coming from boiler.
4. Engineer was shocked that the boiler was installed by British Gas
as they knew of the problems encountered by these boilers.
1. If I had purchased a brand new car, I would have had the garage
recalled due to all its faults, Why did British Gas not recall my boiler
particularly since it was already guaranteed and brand new when BS was
aware of the headache of the boilers and could have at an earlier stage
rectified/replaced the boiler?
2. I have been given the worse service from a nationally reputable
company and am utterly disgusted.
3. I WANT BRITISH GAS TO:
#ENTIRELY REPLACE THE WRETCHED BOILER IMMEDIATELY.
#REFUND THE AMOUNT I PAID TO RENEW MY GUARANTEE FOR A BOILER THAT WAS
A DEFUNKED TOOL.
#GIVE ME A FIVE YEAR GUARANTEE FOR THE NEW BOILER AT NO EXTRA CHARGE
Finally, I reserve my rights to take any further action upon failure
to effect, what I feel is a reasonable remedy to the problems created.
Can someone call me immediately on my work number to:
1. acknowledge receipt of this fax.
2. without giving me the run around, tell me what action is to be taken.